If chickens have taught me one thing, it’s that if you feed them quality ingredients, you get a good product in return. Our chickens eat feed but we also supplement their feed with kitchen scraps and let them free range to eat all the grass and bugs that they want.
A few weeks back, I compared our eggs to store bought eggs. The yolk was darker (although not by much thanks to the dye in marigolds that are fed to factory chickens), the white was thicker in our eggs and more viscous, and the taste was more robust. Our eggs taste like eggs and not like cooked gelatinous protein.
So when you hear what I have to tell you, oh sons of mine who are at college, you can place all the blame on our chickens and their eggs.
Yesterday in the mail I was sent a request to send you Final Exam Care packages which for a mere $55 included the following items.
- US #1 Red Delicious Apples
- Strawberry Twizzlers
- Kellogg’s Rice Kispies mini
- Kar’s Granola Trail Mix
- Nabisco Toast Peanut Butter Crackers
- Fruity Cheerios Cereal-on-the-go
- US #1 Granny Smith Apples
- Banana chips
- Kar’s Raisins
- Seneca Fruit Gems
- Dum Dum lollipops
- Smile bender toy
- Sunkist California Navel Oranges
- David’s Sunflower Seeds
- Kar’s mango pineapple Trail mix
- Senecca Apple Chips
- Tootsie rolls
- Multigrain Salsa Fresca Chips
- M&M’s Milk chocolate candies
- CHEEZ-IT Snack crackers
- Act II Microwave Popcorn
- Nabisco Mini Chips Ahoy cookies
- Dubble Bubble Assorted Gum balls
- Keebler Gripz Grahams
- Act II kettle Corn Microwave popcorn
- M&M’s Peanut candies
- Jolly Rancher Stick candy
- Real lemon cookies
- Animal crackers
- Smile Bender Toy
- Andy Capp Cheddar Fries
- Franklin Toffee Crunch n Munch
- Mike & Ike Tropical Fruit candy
- Milk chocolately peanut chews
- Smarties Candy
- Dum dum lollipops
- Assorted toys including Play Doh, an inflatable beach ball, and a rainbow slinky.
All that sugar, all that processed food – meant to be eaten by you during a time of stress. Here’s the thing. You guys know I love you. I do.
I love you.
And because I love you, you will never be receiving Final Exam kits like this from me.
Instead when finals get near, you will be getting a phone call from me asking:
- Are you getting enough sleep?
- Drinking plenty of water?
- Have you had at least 2 pieces of fruit today? At least one salad?
- Are you avoiding sugar and processed food as much as possible?
- Have you done everything you can to be prepared for your exam?
- Do you know that we’re cheering for your success back home?
I’ll be doing this for you because our chickens have taught me that if you provide quality ingredients, you’ll get a good quality product in return. So much you can learn from the flock, if you just pay attention.
Good luck boys, I’ll be rooting for you.
I write about the lessons learned while raising children and chickens in New Hampshire. Contact me at Wendy@SimpleThrift.com
Also, join me on Facebook to find out more about the flock (children and chickens) and see some pretty funny chicken jokes, photos of tiny houses, and even a recipe or two.